I feel like this is such a belated post. I should have written this post at the beginning of the year, but formulating reading resolutions was top priority. haha
So off to the Wrap ups!
- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell– I am quite conflicted with the plot and characters of this book as I have already mentioned in my previous review. However in retrospective, I did love how the ending was written. So all is well.
- The Wells of Ascension: Mistborn Book 2 by Brandon Sanderson– So I can’t praise this series enough. It’s just simply awesome. The narrative is intense, the mythology is vast, the characters are genuinely relevant, and the stakes are even higher in this installment. Only sad thing about this one are the deaths of some beloved characters. I felt gutted by their demise but I guess it was necessary for the story to evolve. I will soon finish the third book in the series and probably get around to review the series in detail.
- Confessions of Georgia Nicholson Book 9 and 10 by Louise Rennison– This series is the main source material for one of my ultimate favorite chick flicks “Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging”. The film was hilarious and these two books which highlight the end of the series is just the same. I didn’t expect too much from the narrative. It is heavy on teenager slang which confused me most of the time, but it makes Georgia’s character to be genuine one. Plot wise, it’s pretty weak, Georgia’s character most of the time contemplates on which boy she should choose, which is pretty much the common psychology of a girl at her age. But she does learn to grow up and make a choice in the process. I hope. I’m optimistic about it
- The Mythology Class by Arnold Arre– I came upon Arnold Arre when I was in highschool, broke and no money to buy his then famous graphic novel “After Eden” which I think was never reprinted. A couple of years after, now able to do book hauls like a boss (whuuut??), I didn’t hesitate and picked up the Mythology Class. The art is just as impressive as I thought and the story is very Filipino. I feel like I’ve been pulled into an alternate universe where these mystical beings of the Filipino folklore exist. I feel so lucky and proud to be a Filipino while reading this novel. Now if only HBO Asia just picked this one up or even make it into a television series, then that would be just freaking AWESOME!
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone illustrated Edition by JK Rowling– I didn’t exactly finished reading the book, because I felt like I just to want enjoy it bit by bit and not pressure myself to just read the whole thing. But I will come around to finish it sooner or later.
- Trese: Sa Kanto ng Balete Drive at 13th Street (Trese: Murder on Balete Drive) by Budjette Tan, Kajo Baldisimo and Bob Ong– This is the colored version of the first chapter in the Trese Comic Series Book 1, with tagalog translations. I feel like the comics are so much more beautiful when it’s in this form, even if the theme of the series is pretty dark. The comic is now made more accessible for different age groups who love a good old horror/mystery plot.
My January TBR is actually short, consisting of 5 books that I want to read this month, and I hope to finish this month. But I am challenging myself since some of these novels are 700++ long, so wish me luck!
- Intensity by Dean Koontz– already finished this one on the first of January. Man, how I missed reading suspense/criminal thriller novels.
- The Heroes of Ages: Mistborn Book 3 by Brandon Sanderson– not quite finished, snail pace to be exact. Haha
- The Martian by Andy Weir– because I promised to read more sci-fi books
- Paprika by Yasutaka Tsutsui– Not much I know of this book only that it was made into an full feature animated film by Satoshi Kon, which is like a legend in Japanese animation just like Miyazaki is.
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik- it’s my first book from www.bookdepository.com, and I am quite excited to read it.
I’ve set up myself to read 52 books this year in my Goodreads 2016 Reading challenge. I just hope I can accomplish that. Happy 2016 guys!