Hello Everyone! I spent half of my day nailing a new cork board and rearranging a my work station. I am thinking of buying a bigger and more spacious desk, one with drawers. Because I’m kind of getting tired putting everything on the table top.
So let me get me back to my topic. As book lovers, we love us some series. But then, there’s just some books that you can’t just get into or loose interest in as the story progresses. A lot of factors come into play, which may include sloppy writing, underdeveloped boring characters, slow pacing, or you just completely forgot to finish the story and don’t have the urge anymore to read the next book.
Here are the FIVE books that I’ve read over the years that I don’t think I’ll be finishing:
- Daughters of the Moon by Lynn Ewing– I honestly forgot what this book was all about since I read this when I was in the early years of high school, like more than 10 years ago. I read the first book, and really didn’t like it. It had to many YA cliches and boring subplots. Maybe the magic system or mythology introduced in the book wasn’t enough to get me hooked.
- The Mortal Instrument Series by Cassandra Clare– Now don’t get me wrong, I liked the first 2 books in the series. Had to force my way into finishing the third one, and I felt the third book: the City of Glass should have been the end. I think the confusing subplots of the third book just threw me off, not to mention Clary’s constant pining/whining over Jace. She doesn’t really develop into a strong character. Maybe she does in the next books, I wouldn’t know since I haven’t read the rest of the series. But her character development just took way TOO LONG.
- Maximum Ride series by James Patterson– This is one of the more prominent YA series written by James Patterson, which I read as an E-book. I enjoyed the first 3 books of the series and only got as far as the 4th one which is The Final Warning. It’s a science fiction series that was enjoyable to read until the kids hit puberty and other ridiculous and confusing theme plots started to pop up. After that, I was just done with the series.
- Seroks series by David Hontiveros– I bought Seroks 1 and 2 since the author of the Trese comics, one of my favorite graphic novels, recommended it. However, I just didn’t dig the whole post-apocalyptic, clone dominated world that he was trying to depict. I’ll probably give these books a second chance sometime in the future, but for now, let’s just allow it to sit comfortably and gather dust on my bookshelf.
- Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl– again this is the case of a series that had a good start, but just lost it’s steam and potential in the following book series. I loved the establishment of the magic system in this series, but it falls short because of lukewarm characters and a romance that I can’t ever vouch for. Maybe that’s why I didn’t even bother buying the last book.
So how about you? Do you have some series that you didn’t get to finish?
Have a great day! 🙂